Competition Forum > Tutorials

Tips for using Unity

<< < (2/2)

DuckOfDoom:

--- Quote from: Palm on 2012-September 20, 23:21:32 ---This is now a language war. >:(

--- End quote ---

But why did you start it? :D

Palm:

--- Quote from: DuckOfDoom on 2012-September 21, 05:23:53 ---
--- Quote from: Palm on 2012-September 20, 23:21:32 ---This is now a language war. >:(

--- End quote ---

But why did you start it? :D

--- End quote ---
Because I started out with JavaScript. It was closer to AS3 which I worked on before, so it made sense. I really tried to do research on which language is better, just to give me a head-start. But pretty much all discussions said that they have the same capabilities and you could use any really.  But that is a lie, C# is just plain better. Yes, JavaScript can be easier to use for people with limited experience in stricter languages. And yes, you can do the same stuffs in both. But C# is better, period. And I don't want anyone to be fooled into making the same mistake as me because of the "both can do the same stuffs" rhetoric that pops up in every discussion.

Wikipedia pretty much got the syntax covered: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_Sharp_syntax

--- Quote from: CaptainIcy on 2012-September 21, 00:09:49 ---I prefer Java/UnityScript, honestly. C# is fine and you are right that it is probably better overall, but I still learned Javascript and well, I want to continue using it. Never run into anything I can't do.
But yeah, some things in US turn into quite long lines, whereas in C# they're a lot shorter, I'll give it that. :P

Also yes, use Lists instead of Arrays.

I don't have too many tips really for using Unity, but I agree with most of the tips already given.

I will be using Unity for the compo. :)

--- End quote ---
Keep doing that, not gonna stop you, not gonna say you are doing it wrong. I just to make sure that people can make an educated choice. If you are not that into coding there is probably no benefit of C# anyway. Like, there is no point having a sports car over a small-car if you ain't gonna race with it.

AnsisMalins:

--- Quote from: Palm on 2012-September 20, 23:21:32 ---Learn it right from the start and do C#. Its can be a slightly bitchier language. but it only does that because it loves you. it want to teach you how to write proper code.
--- End quote ---
MOFOKKIN TRUTH SIREN

Matias:

--- Quote from: AnsisMalins on 2012-September 21, 11:05:07 ---
--- Quote from: Palm on 2012-September 20, 23:21:32 ---Learn it right from the start and do C#. Its can be a slightly bitchier language. but it only does that because it loves you. it want to teach you how to write proper code.
--- End quote ---
MOFOKKIN TRUTH SIREN

--- End quote ---

Please use proper English and don't do all caps. thank you :)

punsikorn:
Thank you :)
gclub slot

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version