Author Topic: How much "alone"?  (Read 7352 times)

Offline AnsisMalins

• Black belt in .NET
    • LiveStream
How much "alone"?
« on: 2012-September 04, 13:13:44 »
Are we allowed to ask questions on e.g. Stack Overflow during the competition or do we have to make do what whatever information is on the Internet already? We are allowed to release versions of the game during the weekend, but are we allowed to read comments on those releases? Are we allowed to receive bug reports? Are we allowed to talk to people watching our streams?

Offline historymaker118

• New Foal
  • is best pony
Re: How much "alone"?
« Reply #1 on: 2012-September 04, 13:19:02 »
Are we expected to code, create original art assets and sound/music by ourselves in just 48 hours?! How much of this (i'm thinking in terms of art and music rather than code) can be existing already? It just seems an awful lot to ask and expect something that works, or looks/sounds presentable from a weekend. I've developed a few small games in the past, and even then they've taken several weeks to put together, and that's not even considering music or anything other than one or two basic art assets. I'm all up for a challenge, but can there be any sort of collaboration between those working on art or music and those coding?

Offline Rylius

• Administrator
  • Silly Filly
    • Hazewood.de - Game Development
« Reply #2 on: 2012-September 04, 14:01:41 »
Community interaction is great!
You are absolutely free to ask questions anywhere, do pre-releases, ask for feedback, make friends! :)

However everything in the game needs to be done by you in these 48 hours.
Intellectual things like story, gameplay elements etc can't be checked so we won't require that. However, keep in mind this is *your* game and you're not writing it for someone else. :)

Offline AnsisMalins

• Black belt in .NET
    • LiveStream
« Reply #3 on: 2012-September 04, 14:05:12 »
Do note that testing is work. People playing an unfinished game and leaving comments are effectively testers.

Offline Rylius

• Administrator
  • Silly Filly
    • Hazewood.de - Game Development
« Reply #4 on: 2012-September 04, 14:09:56 »
I am very well aware that testing is work - however it is not work on actual the game but rather providing feedback for you to change things.
This forum isn't just for developers but for players alike - we encourage you to provide early builds. :)

Offline Gnifle

• New Foal
  • Gnifle from everywhere on the interwebz! :3
    • Gnifle's website [W.I.P]
« Reply #5 on: 2012-September 04, 18:49:26 »
Not sure, but most people doing the ludum dare seems to get the job done within the time limit. But I agree, it isn't much time we get to get stuff done ^^
I've only been building the actual games, I'm moderate at artwork and I've never created music before... But we'll see what happens - I'll start practising the upcoming weeks ;)

Never been doing one of these before, but I sure am looking forward to it  ;D
"Who are you? I mean, you're me, but I'm me too. How can there be two 'me's? It's not scientifically possible. You are not scientifically possible!" - Twilight Sparkle

Offline Matias

• Hisha The Unicorn
  • Administrator
  • *insert personal text here* - Later..
« Reply #6 on: 2012-September 04, 18:55:49 »
Not sure, but most people doing the ludum dare seems to get the job done within the time limit. But I agree, it isn't much time we get to get stuff done ^^
I've only been building the actual games, I'm moderate at artwork and I've never created music before... But we'll see what happens - I'll start practising the upcoming weeks ;)

Never been doing one of these before, but I sure am looking forward to it  ;D

That's the spirit :3
Heya everypony. This is a signature. /)