Author Topic: Definition of "game".  (Read 8986 times)

Offline Vanni

• ʇxǝʇ lɐuosɹǝd
Definition of "game".
« on: 2012-October 18, 20:09:28 »
I can't believe I didn't think of this before! :o

Anyway, the rules state that the competitors must create a game...
This means I can create a tabletop game? A card game? Or even whatever fall under the definition of game (like a ball, etc.)?
It isn't defined, so I had this doubt.

Offline Matias

• Hisha The Unicorn
  • Administrator
  • *insert personal text here* - Later..
Re: Definition of "game".
« Reply #1 on: 2012-October 18, 21:53:50 »
I can't believe I didn't think of this before! :o

Anyway, the rules state that the competitors must create a game...
This means I can create a tabletop game? A card game? Or even whatever fall under the definition of game (like a ball, etc.)?
It isn't defined, so I had this doubt.

Only one question. How would you upload a boardgame for us to test? ^^
Heya everypony. This is a signature. /)

Offline Oracion

• Blank flank
« Reply #2 on: 2012-October 18, 22:09:07 »
I think that technically you're right.
A board game can be uploaded (PDF's and stuff). You must submit your source code - but if you don't have any, you submit nothing, that's possible.

I, for one, would like to see such games but the kind of stuff you're describing is generally multiplayer and I might have trouble finding opponents to test it.

Also, it's not that easy to create a good game like that and you only have 48 hours.

Offline Pix3m

• New Foal
  • Amatuer pixel artist
    • My deviantART.
« Reply #3 on: 2012-October 18, 23:10:07 »
Common sense suggests that we are expecting games that run on a computer.

Offline jigpu

• New Foal
  • poni.
« Reply #4 on: 2012-October 19, 05:34:01 »
I'm not against the idea of allowing "other" games, but they're probably not going to get many votes...

Part of the reason behind providing an implementation instead of just source code is because not everyone has access to the same build environment. If you gave me a GameMaker file, I wouldn't be able to do anything since I don't have a copy of GameMaker to load it with. If you give me a C file, I might be able to build your game, though I'm out of luck if it was coded against the Windows API. While an implementation doesn't guarantee I can play your game (there are still considerations like Windows vs. Linux, 32-bit vs 64-bit, X86 vs. ARM...) it does significantly widen the audience.

For board games, its certainly possible to upload "assets" (depiction of the pieces) and "source code" (rules of the game). The only thing you can't upload is a "build environment" (though you can describe it!). Once again, this limits the audience that can play the game. Sure, there may be a few enterprising individuals who will grab their scissors, rulers, and sharpies, but most of us are just going to read the description and PDFs.

That's not to say I'm against making games that aren't likely to be played. For the past few years I've been trying (and finally just recently succeeded) to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. Not because I want people to read my work, or even because I want to be a writer. I've been doing it simply because its a challenge. If writing a game in 48 hours which PEEKs and POKEs a Commodore 64 is what you really want to do, far be it from me to say "no" and prevent you from uploading your efforts. Just don't be surprised if nobody plays it :)

JigPu
« Last Edit: 2012-October 19, 05:35:55 by jigpu »

Offline Vanni

• ʇxǝʇ lɐuosɹǝd
« Reply #5 on: 2012-October 19, 14:29:24 »
Long post.

I thought the same as you before asking this question, but I did it anyway, just to know everyone else's opinion. :)

I, for one, would like to see such games but the kind of stuff you're describing is generally multiplayer and I might have trouble finding opponents to test it.

Also, it's not that easy to create a good game like that and you only have 48 hours.

The multiplayer part is the only limit, i think.
48 hours can be enough if the game isn't too much complex. :-\

Offline Twilight_Sparkle[NLR]

• Global Moderator
  • Evil Twilight, nough said.
« Reply #6 on: 2012-October 21, 12:40:45 »
Only games that run on computers people....  ::)

common sense anyone? we are giving it away for free nowadays. 8)
FOR THE NLR! <.< >.>